Happy New Year friends!! After recapping 2017, I’m bound and determined to make 2018 just as amazing! Click through to see what I’m looking forward to, view my resolutions, and catch a glimpse of what to expect in the year to come on Room for Tuesday.
Obviously I’ll continue sharing lots of home improvement projects, renovation stories, and interior related content in 2018. I’m also asking for YOUR opinion this Thursday in my annual reader survey (and thank you giveaway) if you have the time, so stay tuned for that! If you’re wondering what’s left in our renovation… trust me when I say there is plenty.
T H E R E N O
The Kitchen // Obviously the first and arguably most important room reno we’ll share in 2018 will be the kitchen. We’re moving right along and will have tons of kitchen content soon. Come back tomorrow for another progress report!
The Dining Room // The dining room is technically part of the kitchen, so you’ll be getting that all at once. Spoiler alert… there’ll be an eat-in dining nook that will connect to our kitchen cabinetry. Those two posts will happen pretty simultaneously, which is great if you’re impatient (like me).
The Laundry Room // Shortly after the kitchen and dining area, we’re moving to phase two of the space and will tackle the open concept laundry room. We’re cramming a mudroom, dog area, and laundry units into this super small area, so wish us luck. I really haven’t even started thinking about the plans yet. Maybe in the springtime we can start focusing on this very important, multi-functional space.
My Office // It’s no secret- I work from my home office and it’s a complete disaster. The entire room needs revamped so that I can have a functional and organized workspace (before I lose my mind). Maybe this will be a summer project? I hope so!
The Hallway // Next will come the hallway. I personally think hallways are underrated. We have a cool built-in feature in our current hallway, much like our previous one. Who knows… I might even get the itch to wallpaper again. Something weird has to happen in there. It should be interesting.
The Front Entry // Have I ever mentioned I HATE the architecture / front of our house? No? Well, I do. It’s terrible. It looks like a shoebox- boring, rectangular, average, and tiny. I really want to spice it up with a front courtyard or entryway. I’m trying to convince Emmett to let me tile the front walkway. After the backyard reno, I think he’s over extreme labor in the dead of summer, but stay tuned! I’m crossing my fingers for a fall front exterior project.
The Exterior // Speaking of the exterior, we’ll need a new roof at some point in 2018 (super exciting, I know) and that might be the perfect opportunity to change some features we don’t love. I’m also open to painting the exterior! Our carport needs help- major help.
After everything is complete, we’ll access the situation and see if an add-on or at the very least- a garage, is possible. We’ll obviously need to start saving and figure out if it’s a smart investment for this particular property and neighborhood.
WEIGH IN: Are there any specific home posts you’d like to see in 2018? Comment below! I’m already scheduling the 2018 content calendar and would love to add YOUR ideas to the mix.
B L O G G O A L S
- More video content. I want to edit and share at least 10(!) videos this year. Follow along on YouTube if you aren’t already!
- More BTS content. It seems like you guys enjoy following along on Insta stories? I’d love to take you more places and continue sharing honest, realistic views of our home and projects.
- Give back. This year I want to give back in a bigger way. In addition to giveaways for you, I’d love to makeover a room for a family in need, or transform a community space / organization I love and support. I already have some things cooking, and I can’t wait to make them a reality!
- Collaborate. I have some amazing talented friends. I’d like to tackle more collaborations this year. The more brains, the better.
- Authenticity first. This has ALWAYS been my primary focus. I’m a really honest person and I hope that is reflected through my social media. We’re not rich, we’re not perfect, our house isn’t huge, and projects don’t always go as planned. In 2018, expect to see even more bloopers, mishaps, budgets, and a strong dose of reality. I’m all about being transparent in an effort to help others with their projects.
P E R S O N A L R E S O L U T I O N S
- More personal time. This year I worked almost every single weekend. I had less than 20 days off (obviously out of 365). That’s crazy and not the healthiest. This year I’m going to strive for a better work / life balance, for my own sanity.
- Better self care & self love. With my “work, work, work” mentality in 2017, my health also paid the price. I stopped working out, stopped taking the time to cook dinner, and worked from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. This year, I want to prioritize some “me time”. Whether I want to take a hike, ski, exercise, read a book, or take a bubble bath… I’m going to make myself stick to work hours and personal hours. Again, it’s all about balance so I can feel better about myself. Hopefully that will mean more creativity, more productivity during working hours, and elevated happiness. That’s the goal, right? On that note, no matter what I choose to do with my free time, or no matter how my body/mind changes in 2018, I’m going to love it regardless! The older I get, the more comfortable I feel in my own skin. I still have a long way to go, but there’s no time like the present to adopt a better attitude. It’s a process!
- Use my voice. Last year there were SO many opportunities to speak up about important matters. In person, I’m pretty opinionated- but on social media, I tend to take the shy route because I don’t want to offend anyone or step one anyone’s toes. This year if important issues arise, I want to use my voice. I’m not going to be crazy and extreme, but I’d like to help and share if I’m able.
- Get into a routine. 2017 felt pretty chaotic, which caused some anxiety. Usually I’m super organized and love following a routine, but I couldn’t quite get in sync. I’m not sure if it was our house being constantly renovated, but I didn’t feel super settled. This year, despite the mess or state of our home, I’m going to try my hardest to get into a routine. I feel happiest when I’m on a schedule, so that definitely needs to happen- despite not having a kitchen at the moment.
Do you guys make resolutions or set goals for the year ahead? I’d love to hear some of yours in the comments below! Feel free to ask questions about any of mine as well! I have a feeling it’s going to be another great year!
Steph M.January 1, 2018 at 4:00 pm
I’m not normally a resolution person, but after a pretty devastating 2017 that left me feeling the most anxious and depressed I’ve ever been…im trying to set a goal to write down one thing that makes me smile each day. Can’t wait to see all your renos this year!! I think I’ve finally convinced my hubby we should paint the exterior this coming spring…woo!
SarahJanuary 2, 2018 at 7:35 am
Same here! I’m not one for resolutions either, but after last year… I knew I wanted to be more intentional with my goals and choices. Happy new year to you, Steph! I love your idea of writing down one thing each day. I might have to add that to my list as well. Also happy to hear the hubs is on board for painting! Good luck! xox
CaitiJanuary 1, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Loved this! I think your goals totally mirror mine- I worked so hard at the end of the year that my husband and I ended up debilitatingly sick through the entire month of December! I love how authentic and honest you are with the home renovations too, because it saves someone else from making the same mistake! Happy 2018 to you, Emmett, Finn and Cash!
SarahJanuary 2, 2018 at 7:36 am
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that, Caiti! That’s always been my main goal. Here’s to a new year and new goals- let’s do this! I’ll be right there with you. Happy 2018 to you and your fam. xox
Cathy | the Grit and PolishJanuary 2, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Yes, yes, and YES! I loved reading your renovation and personal goals for 2018, but the blog goals especially resonated with me. I’d love to see more collaboration in the renovation blogging world, although I really don’t know what that looks like outside of the kitchen CLJ, Yellow Brick Home, and Manhattan Nest did together last year. And I’d love to see more videos and authentic/behind-the-scenes content during your renovations too. Excited to follow along for another year!
SarahJanuary 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm
So glad to read this comment, Cathy! I agree- I’m really craving comradery and collaborations in this industry. I think it would be so fun and rewarding to team up with another blogger for a room reno / or find a way to give back to the community. So many of us are doing the same thing (renovating homes with our spouses) and can really relate to each other- I feel like what better way to make the most of our resources and content? If any opportunities arise, I’ll let you know! I’d love to tackle a project with you ;)
Cathy | the Grit and PolishJanuary 2, 2018 at 6:29 pm
You are so sweet! And DITTO – I’d love to collaborate should the opportunity arise!
ArdithJanuary 2, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Happy New Year, Sarah and Emmett!
Sarah, everything you present here sounds like quite a lot, so I will be happy with whatever you wish to bring on…as long as you are able to include a fair amount of that personal time for your own well-being.
As for us, we will need to move this year so I’m already looking to embrace it by a) reminding myself I get to decorate from scratch again, and b) I get to use my ninja-like organizational skills to the fullest.
So bring on all your stylish moxie ways, Sarah, and make 2018 an even better S&E/RFT/TM year.
SarahJanuary 2, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Happy New Year to you, Ardith!! Thanks so much for this. Good luck with your move- that’s really exciting. I love a fresh start in a new space. I could use your ninja-like organization skills right now. Ha! xoxo
ClaireJanuary 2, 2018 at 9:14 pm
Love seeing all your goals written out Sarah – very inspiring! Excited to watch all that you do it 2018. Come visit me and baby in Chicago! I have a feeling a lot of my goals will be thrown out the window, but happy, healthy family will be #1 in 2018. XO – Claire
JulieJanuary 6, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Happy New Year! Let’s hear the voice of Sarah in 2018!
SarahJanuary 7, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Happy New Year, Julie!! xox
KateJanuary 13, 2018 at 10:34 am
All your resolutions are so great – as a former SLC resident I’m jealous you get to ski those perfect mountains! – but I’m so glad one is to use your voice. As one of your followers, I’m excited to hear what you have to say whether I agree with it or not. I know it’s hard when you don’t want to offend/step on others toes. But I find it really refreshing when home/reno bloggers can also use their platforms to speak about what’s important to them in addition to making beautiful, well-thought out spaces. Especially this year!
SarahJanuary 13, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Thanks so much, Kate!! I’m excited for this year as well and couldn’t agree more :) xox